The Shapiro Files

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

First Rehearsal

Last night was our first Ballyhoo rehearsal, which consisted of focused table-reads of key scenes involving Joe and/or Sunny. Far too few productions allot time for this type of open character/text analysis and so it was quite refreshing to hear everyone's unique take on their characters. I can tell already that this is going to be a very strong cast and I'll just have to do my best not to stink up the joint too much.

I'm also extremely pleased that everyone at last night's reading is clearly going for a more naturalistic approach to their characters, instead of taking the easy way out and simply doing characterization — a practice that plagues much community theater and ultimately led to my getting away from musical theater.

Tabard clearly has their priorities right and between their production of The Lion...Wardrobe and already with this one, they have helped me to remember why I fell in love with doing theater in the first place.

Lion...Wardrobe Photo

Mr. Beaver and Wood Nymph Emma strike a pose backstage during The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home