The Shapiro Files

Thursday, December 08, 2005

A Sad Anniversary

Today marks the 25th anniversary of the passing of John Lennon. It's impossible to overstate the impact his music and lyrics have made on me as a musician and a person — something that I'm sure millions of others around the world would also say. I'll always remember when by brother Daniel and I first discovered my father's copy of Meet the Beatles in a nightstand drawer. I was probably about 10 years old at the time. After decades of neglect, the album was dusty and scratched up, but that didn't stop Daniel from giving it a spin one day while I was away (probably hanging out with my then best friend Todd). As soon as I got home, he said, "You have to listen to this album." I did and my life has never been the same since.

To commemorate today's sad anniversary, Rolling Stone magazine is launching a series of podcasts that comprise the unedited tape recordings of an interview the magazine held with John in 1970 just before the release of Plastic Ono Band, arguably his greatest album. It makes for a fascinating listen.

Shine on, John.

2 Comments:

  • Steve,

    I agree with you, it does make for a good listen.

    I heard Bon Jovi and saw him on VH1 the other day. Man that guy still has great pipes.

    Rock on Jon.

    Phil

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12/12/2005 6:28 PM  

  • He has also become a pretty decent actor as well. Check out No Looking Back, a very good film with a strong performance by Jon Bon Jovi.

    By Blogger Steve Shapiro, at 12/13/2005 8:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home