The Shapiro Files

Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Let's Hear It for Moms!

RattleFor the first time since being out on maternity leave, Marcie has come to visit her coworkers with Melody yesterday. We both work for the same excellent company, so I was able to tag along. During the visit, several of our coworkers asked about how much I help out with Melody. Marcie explained that as soon as I get home, I hold and sooth Melody as needed, change diapers, and in general, do whatever I can to help out. Marcie also explained that I encourage her to go out and do things for herself whenever she can (over the weekend I took care of Melody while Marcie got a haircut on Saturday and a pedicure on Sunday). Upon hearing all this, our coworkers very kindly extended praise to me for my "dedicated" parenting and other nice things.

Yet as nice as it is to hear such kind comments, the fact is that fathers get too much credit for involvement with their children and mothers never get enough. I think that what I do with Melody is what any father should do — things I consider basic requirements for the job. What Marcie does, on the other hand, is by far much more difficult and exhausting. As Melody's primary source of nutrition (via nursing), Marcie spends an insane amount of time each day (including those wee hours of the night) in the feeding process. And for those who don't know, nursing can be incredibly draining, painful, frustrating, and practically all-encompassing. And on top of all this are the other usual parenting duties and responsibilities. But despite such hardship, Marcie is incredible in the way she interacts with Melody and in every way, demonstrating what it is to be a wonderful mother.

So as much as I enjoy hearing nice things said about my role as a father (who wouldn't?), let's give credit where credit is due: to the Mommy's of the world!

5 Comments:

  • Hear, hear!

    By Blogger Irina Tsukerman, at 11/08/2005 1:02 PM  

  • Steve,
    That was a very nice blog. I'm sure that both of you are doing an amazing job at being parents....but the mom does do a lot and often doesn't get recognition for it. Go Marcie!

    Looking forward to meeting Melody SOON!

    Jody

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/09/2005 8:38 AM  

  • Steve -

    Your importance will become clear when she wants to go out on dates and you have to explain to her that men are pigs :)

    Hang in there daddy :)

    (You do supply her with music - That's important!)

    Lots of love -

    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    By Blogger The Egel Nest, at 11/09/2005 9:55 AM  

  • Hi Steve:

    I love your comments about parenting Melody! So sweet!!!

    I feel compelled to say something about nursing, though. Even with the hardships of the moment that you mention........think about this......

    There is no better feeling of pride and accomplishment that a mother can feel, than nourishing her baby from her own body.

    When a nursing mother gazes down at her baby's face and sees the look of contentment and peace on that little face........it's an unbelievable feeling.

    And most importantly, the bonding that goes on between a mother and baby through the nursing weeks and months is everlasting. It is the best feeling in the world!

    So...despite any discomfort and fatigue that Marcie is feeling now, believe me, she is experiencing something wonderful that she will carry with her the rest of her life. I always feel sad for new mothers that either cannot or do not nurse their babies, for whatever reason. They miss out on one of the most wonderful things about being a woman.

    Lots of love to you, Marcie, and Melody!!

    Love,
    Aunt Linda

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11/10/2005 5:22 AM  

  • Thank you everyone for your comments!

    Brad, yep, when it comes to the dating thing (I suppose in about, what, 14 or 15 years from now?), oooh that's going to be scary! All men are pigs indeed! :)

    Aunt Linda, thanks for your words of encouragement. I'll be sure to point Marcie towards this comments page.

    By Blogger Steve Shapiro, at 11/10/2005 9:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home