The Shapiro Files

Friday, February 27, 2009

The Greatest Meme Ever

Keith Phipps from the always-entertaining A.V. Club recently posted this blog posting featuring a very cool meme (via BuzzFeed) that involves harnessing the powers of complete Internet randomness to create a very convincing rock band name and album cover. I'll let Peggy Wang from BuzzFeed explain the rules:

Go to "Wikipedia." Hit "random" and the first article you get is the name of your band. Then go to "Random Quotations" and the last four or five words of the very last quote of the page is the title of your first album. Then, go to Flickr and click on "Explore the Last Seven Days" and the third picture, no matter what it is, will be your album cover.


I couldn't resist the allure of such randomness, so I thought I'd give it a shot. The result was even better than I expected. Check this out:


Click to see a larger image.


There's something very D&D-meets-The-Cure about the band name and album title. I'm guessing it would be full of songs of dark brooding. But what really takes this exercise in silliness to an entirely new level is the cover art. I love the ironic juxtaposition of the "Too Much Support Hurts" title and the flower-filled photography. Absolutely perfect.

In the spirit of giving credit where credit is due, here are all the sources that resulted in the above creation:

Wikipedia article: Necromancer Games

Quotation: "Ever heard Victoria's REAL secret? Too much support hurts."
R. Stevens, Diesel Sweeties, 03-17-08

Album art: White Wednesday

Anyone else up to the challenge? Post your results on your blog and/or on Facebook and leave me a comment so I know to check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home