The Shapiro Files

Friday, December 05, 2008

'Tis the Season for Tim Rivers

A couple of years ago, I posted this tribute to Tim Rivers, a very dear friend who left us far too early. I hope anyone who didn’t have a chance to read that post will take a few minutes to do so to learn more about this incredibly talented and generous person.

To continue celebrating his life and music, I’m officially launching a yearly post with a link to his very impressive holiday recordings. My original post has the whole history of those recordings and how I was fortunate enough to produce a couple of them myself. But the long and short of it is that Tim managed to create very rich four-part a-cappella vocal performances, singing all the parts himself, through the magic of multi-track recording technology. Even more impressive was that all the recordings were from the predominantly pre-digital ‘80s/early ‘90s, meaning there was no pitch correction available and I don’t believe he even a used a click track (he certainly didn’t for our recordings).

So for some great holiday music, I encourage you to check out A Tim Rivers Collection, available for free. As I said in my original post, I felt making these recordings available to as many people as possible was the least I could do to pay tribute to someone who had such a big impact on my life and on countless others.

1 Comments:

  • Thanks, Steve! You are very thoughtful for doing this. Tim's family thanks you very much.

    Tim's older brother,
    Jim

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1/06/2009 5:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home