The Shapiro Files

Monday, January 23, 2006

Spam Blam

In my first Netflix wrap-up posting, I invited fellow Netflix users to join my network of Netflix Friends. In that posting, I included my email address with spaces around the "@" symbol, as I had thought that doing so would prevent automated web spiders from grabbing my address and adding it to spam lists. Well, apparently that old trick doesn't work any more. Unless it's just a coincidence, I've gradually begun getting increasingly more spam over the past couple of weeks. Then when I checked my email this morning before heading off to work, I discovered that I have received more than 100 junk mail messages over just the past two days. It's a good thing my email program has a pretty decent junk mail filter.

Although it's a pretty much too late now to make any difference, I've removed my address from that previous posting. Oh well. You live, you learn.

3 Comments:

  • Hey Cous -

    Thank god for spam blockers...everything I sign up for or do for school or anything now has spyware, spiders, adware etc. attached to it.. :)

    Stay away spam!

    I have a filter too :)

    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    By Blogger The Egel Nest, at 1/23/2006 8:09 PM  

  • Yep, if it wasn't for the junk mail filter in Apple Mail (combined with Yahoo Mail's pretty good "Bulk" filter), I'd be going crazy. I'm now averaging a new junk mail message every 3-5 minutes! Since I'm using POP, I'm now having to clear messages off the mail server every day, since I don't want it to fill up. Yeesh!

    By Blogger Steve Shapiro, at 1/24/2006 9:45 AM  

  • *Sigh*, I share your pain... And I thought spamming was supposed to be illegal!

    By Blogger Irina Tsukerman, at 1/24/2006 12:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home