The Shapiro Files

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Netflix Weekend Wrap-Up #3

Previous installments: #1, #2

Another week, another Netflix weekend. Both of this week's DVDs were of films from last year that we missed when they were playing in theaters:

Junebug (2005) - A wonderfully quiet little story of a family in Winston-Salem, North Carolina that made several critics' 2005 "Best of" lists. I can't say this film for everyone, as not much happens in terms of plot. So if you're not into slow-paced films, this one may not be for you. But if a character-based story is more your taste (it certainly is mine), you'll find some very subtle (and refreshingly real) moments here to really make the film worthwhile, with uniformly excellent performances. Amy Adams and Ben McKenzie were especially terrific. My Netflix rating: 4 stars

Red Eye (2005) - Horror director Wes Craven's attempt to make a Hitchcock-style thriller — an attempt in which he largely succeeds. It's well-paced (especially given that the second act takes place mostly in two airplane seats) and plenty of fun. At the same time, you have to put up with some huge leaps of logic and a pretty predictable ending. Still, it's a short and entertaining little popcorn movie that could be a good appetizer to a truly great thriller like North by Northwest or Vertigo. My Netflix rating: 3 stars

3 Comments:

  • Junebug sounds like something I may want to check out. Interesting, but I've never heard of it last year. Shame they didn't advertise.

    By Blogger Irina Tsukerman, at 1/24/2006 9:55 PM  

  • It takes a lot for me to equate, even in part, anything to Hitchcock.

    So, I look forward to seeing this.

    My favorite Hitchcock movie though...Rebecca...hands down!

    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    By Blogger The Egel Nest, at 1/25/2006 12:45 PM  

  • I have to admit that I haven't seen Rebecca. Even though it's the only Hitchcock to win a best-film Oscar, it's not a movie you hear too much about. I'll have to add it to my Netflix queue.

    As for Red Eye, don't expect too much. It's fun and Hitchcock-esque, but it doesn't come close (very few films do) to anything by Master Alfred. :)

    By Blogger Steve Shapiro, at 1/26/2006 9:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home