The Shapiro Files

Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Netflix Weekend Wrap-Up #6

Previous installments: #1, #2, #3, #4, #5

With the Olympics now over, Marcie and I finally had a chance to once again sit down and watch a new Netflix DVD over the weekend. With so many big releases coming out at the end of 2005 when we entered parenthood and it became impossible to go to the movies, we have lots of catching up to do now that the movies are starting to get released on DVD. So we decided decided to dive right into the next big late-2005 release in our Netflix queue:

Flightplan (2005) - The second big airplane-based thriller released last year (the other being Red Eye, of course). As much as I hate to give the impression that I'm hard to please, I once again have to grudgingly give another negative review. Despite some impressive set design (a two-story passenger plane complete with bar and lounge!), this just wasn't a very good film. There simply wasn't anything particularly original or special about this movie. Sure, Jody Foster gave a good enough performance and I'm a fan of Peter Sarsgaard, but the story and execution were both clunky and downright silly. I guess there were a couple of fun moments that kept this movie from one-star rating status. But it was just too hard to get wrapped up in a story so illogical. At least this time I'm not alone in giving a critical opinion, as the first thing Marcie said when the movie ended was, "Well, that was stupid." My Netflix rating: 2 stars

3 Comments:

  • HI steve~ couldn't resist commenting. My hubby and I are HUGE netflix movie watchers. (gotta get our moneys worth) Lately we have been watching a lot of foreign films..there are some really really terrific ones. If you want some title to some goodies...let me know!

    By Blogger No longer the blog tramp!, at 3/07/2006 9:57 AM  

  • Steve -

    Maybe you should start renting movies that SOME people think MIGHT be good! :)

    Flightplan???

    Again...Marcie is right..."Well that was stupid"

    :)


    Bradley
    The Egel Nest

    By Blogger The Egel Nest, at 3/09/2006 10:03 PM  

  • Random Blog Commentator,

    Welcome to The Shapiro Files! Sorry for the delay in responding to your comments. I am actually a huge fan of classic cinema and foreign films. I realize my recent Netflix selections may give the impression that I mostly watch current movies, but that's only because Marcie and I have been trying to catch up on all the releases that came out shortly after the birth of our daughter in September last year. But prior to Melody's arrival, we typically would go through three movies a weekend: one that I hope we'd both enjoy, one that I'd be more likely to enjoy, and one "art film" (often older and frequently in a language other than English). Most often I'd end up watching the second half of the second and the entire third film by myself. I was on a wonderful classic Japanese film run for a while and before that, enjoyed catching up on all the classic Italian cinema that I missed for one reason or another. So yes, definitely, I'd love your recommendations!

    Brad,

    I pretty much added every major (and not so major) release to my Netflix queue from September through January so we wouldn't feel completely out of the loop. And in my defense, Marcie was particularly interested in Flightplan because she likes Jody Foster quite a bit and thought the movie would be fun. Anytime Marcie asks me to add something to the queue, I always do it because she's always saying that I rent too many movies that only I want to see (see my comments to Random Blog above). So there ya go!

    By Blogger Steve Shapiro, at 3/13/2006 1:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home